Basilica of Bom Jesus

Roman Catholic

 

Overview

Bom Jesus Basilica, Located at Old Goa, 10 kilometres east of Panaji, It is a World Heritage Monument.This is one of the oldest churches in Goa and in India. Goa's most famous church and among the most revered by Christians worldwide.
 
The foundation stone of this remarkably large church was laid on 24 November 1594 and the church was consecrated by Fr. Alexia de Menezes, the Archbishop of Goa and Primate of India consecrated it when it was completed on 15 May 1605. In 1946 it was raised to the status of a minor Basilica. The church is called "Bom Jesus" meaning 'good Jesus' or 'infant Jesus' to whom it is dedicated. The façade has on it, at the top, the letters, "HIS" which are the first three letters of Jesus in Greek.
 
The floor is of marble inlaid with precious stones. Apart from the elaborate gilded altars, the interior of the church is simple. The church also holds paintings of scenes taken from the life of St. Francis Xavier. The mausoleum, on the top of which is placed the silver casket with the body of St. Francis Xavier (1696), was the gift of the last of the Medicis, Cosimo III, the Grand Duke of Tuscany.built out of black granite in an exquisite combination of the Doric, Corinthian and composite styles, is remarkable for its simplicity. It measures 183 ft in length,55 ft in breath, and 61 ft in height. The main altar is 54 ft high and 30 ft broad. The pillars and detail are carved from basalt which was brought from Bassein, some 300 kms away. The interior of the church is built in Mosaico-Corinthian style and is remarkable for its charming simplicity. Inside, the basilica’s layout is simple but grand, contained beneath a simple wooden ceiling. The huge and ornate gilded reredos, stretching from floor to ceiling behind the altar, takes pride of place, its baroque ornament contrasting strongly with the classical, plain layout of the cathedral itself. It shows a rather portly St Ignatius Loyola, protecting a tiny figure of the infant Jesus. His eyes are raised to a huge gilded sun above his head.
 
The Churdh is open to the public every day. The body of St. Francis Xavier is in a well-decorated casket, which can be seen in the photographs below. Solemn exhibitions of the 'body' are held every ten years. Some photos taken inside the church are attached for better understanding of the art work of that time. These art works are called "murals".
 
Mass is held in the basilica in Konkani at 7am and 8am Monday to Saturday, at 8am and 9.15am on Sunday, and at 10.15am in English on Sunday. Confession is held daily in the sacristy from 5pm to 6pm.
 
Church Timing: 7.30am to 6.30pm
 
How to Reach,
Roadway: There are a number of public as well as private bus operators in Goa.
 
Nearest Railway Station: Madgaon and  Thivim Railway Station
 
Nearest Airport: Dabolim Airport 

Location

Country
India
State
Goa
City
North goa
Location
Panaji
Address
Basilica of Bom Jesus, Old Goa Rd, Bainguinim, Panaji, Goa 403402
Contact Info
Phone: 0832 228 5790
Mobile :
Fax :
Near Cities
Nearest Bus Terminal
Bainguinim
Nearest Railway Station
Madgaon (MAO)
Nearest Airport
Dabolim Airport
IN
latitude : 15.380800250 longitude :73.831398010
Corporation : Vasco da Gama
GPS Code : VOGO
Open Year
1605
Height
18 m
Architect
Baroque architecture
Dedicated To
Julião Simão, Domingos Fernandes
Visiting Hours
7.30am to 6.30pm

Nearest Places

  • Apart from the admirable beaches and waterfalls, Goa is also one of the most sought after destinations for heritage architectures. Goa is an ancient state and so is the architecture found here. A beautiful example of the historical monuments present in Goa is the Arvalem Caves or the “Pandava Caves”. Located in the Bicholim town of North Goa, these caves are ancient rock cut caves that give us a chance to steep into the mythological tales. The

  • A short distance from the regional town of Bicholim, along the road from Mayem Lake, is the village of Sanquelim. This is the place where the colonial government settled its Rajput mercenaries (known as the 'Ranes') in the mid-1700s and where the same mercenaries staged their successful uprisings during the 19th century.

  • The main temple is dedicated to Bhagavan Manguesh, an incarnation of Shiva. Bhagavan Mangesh is venerated here as Shiva Linga. According to the legend, the Lord Shiva had expressed in a tiger to frighten his wife Parvati. Paravati, who was afraid at the sight of the tiger, went in search of the Lord Shiva and shouted: "girisha betrayed Mam!" (Oh Lord of mountains, save me!). After having heard the words the Lord Shiva turned back to its normal

  • Mangueshi Temple is situated at Mangeshi in Priol Village of Goa’s Ponda taluka, has an air of distinctive elegance. Laced with beautiful environs of lush green hills.This Temple is a beautiful temple dedicated to Lord Shiva.The temple of Shri Mangesh is set amidst natural beauty and pleasant surroundings. It belongs to the typical Goan Hindu temple style of architecture. It is very distinctive with its white towers, welcoming at the entrance e

  • Shree Shanta Durga Temple Located at the foothills of Kavlem village in Ponda district of Goa. This avatar of Shree Jagdamba devi which had come to make peace between Shree Vishnu and Shree Shiva, came to be known as Shree Shantadurga devi. Shantadurga placed Vishnu on her right hand and Shiva on her left hand and settled the fight.The mud-shrine was converted into a beautiful temple whose foundation stone was laid in 1730 and the temple was co

  • The Chapora beach situated at around 10 kms from Mapusa in North Goa is one of the most interesting beaches of Goa. Golden sands washed by blue waters and a coastline flanked by green hills,  white sands, black lava rocks and a beautiful sea that turns from aquamarine to emerald green with the movement of the sun. Chapora is perfect for some fun and relaxation. One of the chief landmarks built by the Portuguese is situated nearby. It is close t

  • Bom Jesus Basilica, Located at Old Goa, 10 kilometres east of Panaji, It is a World Heritage Monument.This is one of the oldest churches in Goa and in India. Goa's most famous church and among the most revered by Christians worldwide.

  • Salim Ali Bird sanctuary is located on an island in the Mandovi River about 4kms from Panaji, the capital city of Goa.1.8 Sq Km in area. A variety of local and migratory birds can be found on this island.The sanctuary is within walking distance from the ferry wharf at Chorao.

  • Goa State Museum is located in its new building at EDC Complex, Patto, Panaji – Goa. The Museum was Established in 1977 at St.Inez, Panaji. The State Museum of Goa depicts the various aspects of the Goan Culture, traditions and society, throughout the ages, and the galleries are being  set up accordingly. Opening a small museum in a rented building on 29 September 1977. After building a new museum complex, it was formally inaugurated by the Pre

  • Fort Aguada is one of the largest and impressive forts preserved as one of the best known landmarks in Goan history.Aguada fort is located on the Aguada-Siolim Road in Sinquerim Candolim, Goa.It is named for the fresh water spring that gives the fort a constant supply of potable water, ‘agua’ being the Portuguese word for water and ‘Aguada’ signifying a place where water is collected. So well built and fiercely armed was this fort that it has n

NEAREST PLACES

NEAREST PLACES TO VISIT

About us

Tourismeveryone.com is one of most and great name in internet world. Our aims to "what you need, we will give".

here collection of tourist places and its tour cost world wide.

Twitter feed
Contact us

#1, Puzhuthivakkam
Chennai, TN - 600091
P: (91) 9043520329
E: tourismeveryone@gmail.com


Follow us