Fort Aguada

 

Overview

Fort Aguada is one of the largest and impressive forts preserved as one of the best known landmarks in Goan history.Aguada fort is located on the Aguada-Siolim Road in Sinquerim Candolim, Goa.It is named for the fresh water spring that gives the fort a constant supply of potable water, ‘agua’ being the Portuguese word for water and ‘Aguada’ signifying a place where water is collected. So well built and fiercely armed was this fort that it has never fallen into enemy hands.
 
A freshwater spring within the fort provided water supply to the ships that used to stop by. This is how the fort got its name: Aguada, meaning Water. Crews of passing ships would often visit to replenish their fresh water stores. On the fort stands a four-storey Portuguese lighthouse, erected in 1864 and the oldest of its kind in Asia. Built in 1612, it was once the grandstand of 79 cannons. It has the capacity of storing 2,376,000 gallons of water, one of the biggest freshwater storages of the time in whole of Asia. This fort is divided in two segments: the upper part acted as fort and watering station, while the lower part served as a safe berth for Portuguese ships. Whereas the upper part has a moat, underground water storage chamber, gunpowder room, light house and bastions, it also has a secret escape passage to use during time of war and emergency. The lighthouse at initial stage is used to emit light once in 7 minutes. In 1834 it was changed to emit light creating eclipse every 30 seconds, however it was abandoned in 1976.
 
The Aguada fort is a monument to Portuguese construction and engineering. Although parts of it have fallen to the ravages of time, much of it is intact and it remains the best preserved Portuguese fort in India today. Built over three years from 1609 to 1612, it once defended the Portuguese stronghold against Dutch and Maratha invaders. 
 
The area around the fort housed a large well and a number of springs that provided fresh drinking water to the voyagers that arrived by ship. "Agua" in Portuguese means water, thus the fort derived its name "Aguada" to denote a place where water is accumulated.
 
Steps lead down from the middle of the courtyard within to an enormous vaulted cistern capable of storing ten million litres of fresh water. The other unusual feature of the fort is a four-storey Portuguese lighthouse, erected in 1864 and the oldest of its kind in Asia.
 
An interesting feature in the precinct of the fort is a 13 metre high lighthouse. This lighthouse, built in 1864, initially used an oil lamp. It was later renovated and modernised in 1976.
 
This lighthouse was home to a gigantic bell that was retrieved from amongst the ruins of the St. Augustus monastery at Old Goa. However, the bell has now been moved to the Our Lady of Immaculate Conception church at Panaji.
 
Though the entire fort is no longer intact, some buildings that are still in good shape have been converted into a prison. Interestingly, it happens to be the largest prison in Goa.
 
Fort Timing:  9.30am to 6.00pm
 
How to Reach,
The fort is located about 4 km south of Sinquerim Beach. You can reach here by taking a cab.
 
Nearest Railway Station: Thivim Train Station 
 
Nearest Airport: Dabolim Airport 
 

Location

Country
India
State
Goa
City
North goa
Location
Calangute
Address
Fort Aguada, Aguada-Siolim Road, Sinquerim, Candolim, Bardez, Goa 403515
Contact Info
Phone: 0832 664 5858
Mobile :
Fax :
Near Cities
Nearest Bus Terminal
Aguada-Siolim Road' Sinquerim
Nearest Railway Station
Thivim (THVM)
Nearest Airport
Dabolim Airport
IN
latitude : 15.380800250 longitude :73.831398010
Corporation : Vasco da Gama
GPS Code : VOGO
Open Year
1612
Visiting Hours
9.30am to 6.00pm

Nearest Places

  • Apart from the admirable beaches and waterfalls, Goa is also one of the most sought after destinations for heritage architectures. Goa is an ancient state and so is the architecture found here. A beautiful example of the historical monuments present in Goa is the Arvalem Caves or the “Pandava Caves”. Located in the Bicholim town of North Goa, these caves are ancient rock cut caves that give us a chance to steep into the mythological tales. The

  • A short distance from the regional town of Bicholim, along the road from Mayem Lake, is the village of Sanquelim. This is the place where the colonial government settled its Rajput mercenaries (known as the 'Ranes') in the mid-1700s and where the same mercenaries staged their successful uprisings during the 19th century.

  • The main temple is dedicated to Bhagavan Manguesh, an incarnation of Shiva. Bhagavan Mangesh is venerated here as Shiva Linga. According to the legend, the Lord Shiva had expressed in a tiger to frighten his wife Parvati. Paravati, who was afraid at the sight of the tiger, went in search of the Lord Shiva and shouted: "girisha betrayed Mam!" (Oh Lord of mountains, save me!). After having heard the words the Lord Shiva turned back to its normal

  • Mangueshi Temple is situated at Mangeshi in Priol Village of Goa’s Ponda taluka, has an air of distinctive elegance. Laced with beautiful environs of lush green hills.This Temple is a beautiful temple dedicated to Lord Shiva.The temple of Shri Mangesh is set amidst natural beauty and pleasant surroundings. It belongs to the typical Goan Hindu temple style of architecture. It is very distinctive with its white towers, welcoming at the entrance e

  • Shree Shanta Durga Temple Located at the foothills of Kavlem village in Ponda district of Goa. This avatar of Shree Jagdamba devi which had come to make peace between Shree Vishnu and Shree Shiva, came to be known as Shree Shantadurga devi. Shantadurga placed Vishnu on her right hand and Shiva on her left hand and settled the fight.The mud-shrine was converted into a beautiful temple whose foundation stone was laid in 1730 and the temple was co

  • The Chapora beach situated at around 10 kms from Mapusa in North Goa is one of the most interesting beaches of Goa. Golden sands washed by blue waters and a coastline flanked by green hills,  white sands, black lava rocks and a beautiful sea that turns from aquamarine to emerald green with the movement of the sun. Chapora is perfect for some fun and relaxation. One of the chief landmarks built by the Portuguese is situated nearby. It is close t

  • Bom Jesus Basilica, Located at Old Goa, 10 kilometres east of Panaji, It is a World Heritage Monument.This is one of the oldest churches in Goa and in India. Goa's most famous church and among the most revered by Christians worldwide.

  • Salim Ali Bird sanctuary is located on an island in the Mandovi River about 4kms from Panaji, the capital city of Goa.1.8 Sq Km in area. A variety of local and migratory birds can be found on this island.The sanctuary is within walking distance from the ferry wharf at Chorao.

  • Goa State Museum is located in its new building at EDC Complex, Patto, Panaji – Goa. The Museum was Established in 1977 at St.Inez, Panaji. The State Museum of Goa depicts the various aspects of the Goan Culture, traditions and society, throughout the ages, and the galleries are being  set up accordingly. Opening a small museum in a rented building on 29 September 1977. After building a new museum complex, it was formally inaugurated by the Pre

  • Fort Aguada is one of the largest and impressive forts preserved as one of the best known landmarks in Goan history.Aguada fort is located on the Aguada-Siolim Road in Sinquerim Candolim, Goa.It is named for the fresh water spring that gives the fort a constant supply of potable water, ‘agua’ being the Portuguese word for water and ‘Aguada’ signifying a place where water is collected. So well built and fiercely armed was this fort that it has n

NEAREST PLACES

NEAREST PLACES TO VISIT

About us

Tourismeveryone.com is one of most and great name in internet world. Our aims to "what you need, we will give".

here collection of tourist places and its tour cost world wide.

Twitter feed
Contact us

#1, Puzhuthivakkam
Chennai, TN - 600091
P: (91) 9043520329
E: tourismeveryone@gmail.com


Follow us