Shree Shanta Durga Temple

Devi (Amman) Temple

 

Overview

Shree Shanta Durga Temple Located at the foothills of Kavlem village in Ponda district of Goa. This avatar of Shree Jagdamba devi which had come to make peace between Shree Vishnu and Shree Shiva, came to be known as Shree Shantadurga devi. Shantadurga placed Vishnu on her right hand and Shiva on her left hand and settled the fight.The mud-shrine was converted into a beautiful temple whose foundation stone was laid in 1730 and the temple was completed in 1738 and renovated in 1966.
 
The current temple was constructed during the reign of Maratha ruler Chattrapati Shahu of Satara in about 1738 A.D. Naroram Mantri originally from Kochara village in the Vengurla region was a Mantri in Shahu's Court around 1723. He obtained finances to construct the new temple for the goddess from Shahu. The temple construction started around 1730 and, with the help from other mahajans, the present temple was completed. Due to his efforts, the village of Kavalem was bequeathed to the Temple by Shahu in 1739.
 
The temple complex is on the slope of the foothills of a mountain chain, surrounded by lush vegetation. There is a main temple and three smaller temples of other deities which have been built on three sides of the temple. The temple consists of a collection of pyramidal roofs with a dome. The pillars and floors are made of Kashmir stone. The temple has a huge tank, a Deepastambha and agrashalas.
 
The original place of Shree Shantadurga devi was at Keloshi. From there devi was shifted to Kavlem during the rule of portuguese government. This current temple structure of Shree Shantadurga devi was built during the period from 1713 a.d to 1738 a.d. Many renovations have been done over the years to the main temple and to the temples of other deities besides the agarshala which is built on three sides of the temple. Agarshala for the benefit of the Devi's devotees travelling from far places to seek her blessings. Guest house of 98 self -contained flats. Each of these blocks comprise of one room and one kitchen with toilet/bathroom facilities. When the agarshala was originally built, there were only 24 flats, 12 each on the ground floor and the first floor of the building. In the recent past the agarashala was expanded and more rooms were added. At present agarshala has 24 flats each on the left and right sides of the temple  and 26 flats on the back side of the temple premises.
 
Beside the idol of goddess Shantadurga, the temple also has shrines dedicated to Lord Narayan, Lord Ganesha and goddess Bara Vir Bhagavati. Another major attraction of the temple complex is the Nayanmanohar Deepstambha. The deepstambha  is six-stories high. Another attraction is the Nagarkhana, which was used by the temple musicians for their recitals. Agrashalas and the temple pond located opposite the Nayanmanohar Deepstambho, are other attractions.
 
Temple Timing : 24 hours open
 
How to Reach,
Nearest Railway Station : Thivim Train Station 
Nearest Airport : Dabolim Airport 

Location

Country
India
State
Goa
City
North goa
Location
Ponda
Address
Shree Shanta Durga Temple, Verem - Nerul Rd, Near Chamundeshwari Petrol Pump, Verem, Bardez, Goa 403114
Contact Info
Phone: 0832 2312557
Mobile :
Fax :
Near Cities
Nearest Bus Terminal
Verem - Nerul Rd, Near Chamundeshwari Petrol Pump, Verem
Nearest Railway Station
Nearest Airport
Dabolim Airport
IN
latitude : 15.380800250 longitude :73.831398010
Corporation : Vasco da Gama
GPS Code : VOGO
Open Year
1738
Architect
Portuguese architecture
Visiting Hours
24 hours open

Nearest Places

  • Apart from the admirable beaches and waterfalls, Goa is also one of the most sought after destinations for heritage architectures. Goa is an ancient state and so is the architecture found here. A beautiful example of the historical monuments present in Goa is the Arvalem Caves or the “Pandava Caves”. Located in the Bicholim town of North Goa, these caves are ancient rock cut caves that give us a chance to steep into the mythological tales. The

  • A short distance from the regional town of Bicholim, along the road from Mayem Lake, is the village of Sanquelim. This is the place where the colonial government settled its Rajput mercenaries (known as the 'Ranes') in the mid-1700s and where the same mercenaries staged their successful uprisings during the 19th century.

  • The main temple is dedicated to Bhagavan Manguesh, an incarnation of Shiva. Bhagavan Mangesh is venerated here as Shiva Linga. According to the legend, the Lord Shiva had expressed in a tiger to frighten his wife Parvati. Paravati, who was afraid at the sight of the tiger, went in search of the Lord Shiva and shouted: "girisha betrayed Mam!" (Oh Lord of mountains, save me!). After having heard the words the Lord Shiva turned back to its normal

  • Mangueshi Temple is situated at Mangeshi in Priol Village of Goa’s Ponda taluka, has an air of distinctive elegance. Laced with beautiful environs of lush green hills.This Temple is a beautiful temple dedicated to Lord Shiva.The temple of Shri Mangesh is set amidst natural beauty and pleasant surroundings. It belongs to the typical Goan Hindu temple style of architecture. It is very distinctive with its white towers, welcoming at the entrance e

  • Shree Shanta Durga Temple Located at the foothills of Kavlem village in Ponda district of Goa. This avatar of Shree Jagdamba devi which had come to make peace between Shree Vishnu and Shree Shiva, came to be known as Shree Shantadurga devi. Shantadurga placed Vishnu on her right hand and Shiva on her left hand and settled the fight.The mud-shrine was converted into a beautiful temple whose foundation stone was laid in 1730 and the temple was co

  • The Chapora beach situated at around 10 kms from Mapusa in North Goa is one of the most interesting beaches of Goa. Golden sands washed by blue waters and a coastline flanked by green hills,  white sands, black lava rocks and a beautiful sea that turns from aquamarine to emerald green with the movement of the sun. Chapora is perfect for some fun and relaxation. One of the chief landmarks built by the Portuguese is situated nearby. It is close t

  • Bom Jesus Basilica, Located at Old Goa, 10 kilometres east of Panaji, It is a World Heritage Monument.This is one of the oldest churches in Goa and in India. Goa's most famous church and among the most revered by Christians worldwide.

  • Salim Ali Bird sanctuary is located on an island in the Mandovi River about 4kms from Panaji, the capital city of Goa.1.8 Sq Km in area. A variety of local and migratory birds can be found on this island.The sanctuary is within walking distance from the ferry wharf at Chorao.

  • Goa State Museum is located in its new building at EDC Complex, Patto, Panaji – Goa. The Museum was Established in 1977 at St.Inez, Panaji. The State Museum of Goa depicts the various aspects of the Goan Culture, traditions and society, throughout the ages, and the galleries are being  set up accordingly. Opening a small museum in a rented building on 29 September 1977. After building a new museum complex, it was formally inaugurated by the Pre

  • Fort Aguada is one of the largest and impressive forts preserved as one of the best known landmarks in Goan history.Aguada fort is located on the Aguada-Siolim Road in Sinquerim Candolim, Goa.It is named for the fresh water spring that gives the fort a constant supply of potable water, ‘agua’ being the Portuguese word for water and ‘Aguada’ signifying a place where water is collected. So well built and fiercely armed was this fort that it has n

NEAREST PLACES

NEAREST PLACES TO VISIT

About us

Tourismeveryone.com is one of most and great name in internet world. Our aims to "what you need, we will give".

here collection of tourist places and its tour cost world wide.

Twitter feed
Contact us

#1, Puzhuthivakkam
Chennai, TN - 600091
P: (91) 9043520329
E: tourismeveryone@gmail.com


Follow us