Devagiri Daulatabad Fort
Daultabad Devagiri Fort, 11km north-west of Aurangabad, is a famous for its great hill fort. The fort is located on a hill isolated conical rise abruptly from the plain to the height of about 190 meters. The fortification consisting of three concentric lines of walls with large number of bastions. The outstanding features of the fort are the moat, the escarpment, and the sub-mediterranean passage, all hewn from solid rock. The upper outlet of the passage was filled with an iron fencing, on which a large fire could be used to prevent the progress of the enemy. The Chand Minar, the Chini Mahal and the structures are the important Baradari in the fort.
The Chand Minar, approximately 63 meters in height, was erected by Alauddin Bahman Shah in 1435 AD to the conquest of Daulatabad. In front of the Minar is the Jumma Masjid, whose pillars originally belonged to a temple. Close to it, there is a great reservoir of masonry. THE Chini Mahal at the end of the lower for is the place where Abdul Hasan Tana Shah, the last king Golconda, was confined by Aurangzeb in 1687 AD. Nearby is a round bastion crowned with a huge cannon with Rams Head, called Shikan Kila or Fort circuit breaker. The Baradari, octagonal in shape, stands near the top of the fort. The major bastion at the summit also bears a large canon.
Although the city of Devagiri was founded in 1187 AD by the Bhillan Yadava King V, the fort was built during the reign of 1210-46 Singhana II (AD). It has been captured by the Ala-ud-Din Kalji in 12 94 AD, marking the first Muslim invasion of the Deccan. Finally in 1318 AD, Malik Yadava Kafur killed last Raja, Harapal. Then in 1327 AD, Muhammed Tughluq-tray-trying to make its capital, by transferring the whole of the population of Delhi and changing the name of Devagiri of Daulatabad. And then it was in the possession of the Bhamanis up to 1526 AD. The fort remains in control of Mughal Aurangzebs death in 1707, till AD., when it has adopted on the Nizam of Hyderabad. The famous Ellora Caves are only 16kms from Devagiri-Daulatabad .
Devagiri Pitcures: View of for and its citadel (top left) from the top of its entrance door (above), and the Chand Minar (inset). Countries of the Jumma Masjid, with old carved pillars , and the kila Shikan canon with Goat Head.
The "Hill" has been the site of a rock-hewn citadel which was considered invulnerable. However, Deogiri yielded to the enemy assault and passed into the possession of the Sultans of Delhi in 1308 A.D.
Deogiri Thirty years later, was to obtain a brief period of glory as the capital of India. Muhamad Tughlak, ascending the throne of Delhi, has ordered its capital to be moved to the south of the city that he has renamed Daultabad, the Town of Fortune. It was a transplant rather than a transfer, for the entire population of Delhi, men, women and children - rich and poor, have been out in a ground to the new capital. Even the sick and the dying were not exempt from the arduous journey, which has involved a terrible toll of human misery and thousands of citizens of Delhi have perished on the path. And this was in vain. The sultan has regretted his decision and, by repeating his act of folly, ordered the whole of the mass of migrants to return to the capital abandoned.
However, Daultabad grew up to become a large city, vying with Delhi in size and !!. The province to which it belonged, were separated from the state of Delhi. And then the old citadel excavated in the body of a solitary hill had to be stregthened more. The steep mountains at the base of the fortress fall to the moat were as smooth as not of hostile troops could reach the summits. But the fortificatons were now extended well beyond the original kernel of the citadel. Bastion were constructed, mounted on with canon. Large walls with niches of guarding the approaches. The outer wall extends over six kilometers and there are several interior walls with heavy iron doors fitted with elephant spikes these tips have prevented the use of the elephant to force the doors.
The first gateway leades in the enclosure that has, to the left, an enormous reservoir of water and above it ya a former Hindu temple. Its roof supported by 150 pillars. To the right the Chand Minar, a pillar of victory built by a king in order to commemorate his conquest of Daultabad. Minar has a gallery with ornamental brackets and a balustrade. The stairs lead to Chini Mahal, so named because of the porcelain tiles blue on its facade. The palace of which he formerly constituted a party has completely disappeared. So are the other places which once stood on the adjacent door.
A large gun at approximately five and a half meters (17 ft.) long, which has a name inscribed on the latter, is located at the top of a high tower bastion. It has a head of Aries designed at one end.
Beyond these construcitons later is the gap, twelve meters(40 ft.) deep, with a drawbridge. Here begins the citadel of Deogiri original. The solid rock is dug at a height of approximately 76 meters (250 ft. ).
There is only one narrow entrance of the moat. The ascent now lead to an underground passage more than 45.72 meters (150 ft. ). It spirals darkly over the steps carved shielded by the mass of rock of overhead costs. Some parties are pitchdark and the operator is lit a torch for the visitor. In the days once it could easily be barricade. At its end, a last obstacle was created by a kind of iron Brazier. When a fire was lit in the brasero the high heat has blown into the passage-due to an effective mechanism of suction and the passage has become completely blocked.
The total height of the fortress is approximately 183 meters (600 ft. ). Near its summit, there is a tank, apparently fueled by some underground. More top, there is a flag of Mughal architecture and to top it off, a bastion with a firearm, from this place, there is a splendid view on the countryside around. However, the visitors who find the arduous climb must not go beyond the underground passage.
Throughout the course of the fortress there are solid ramparts. Canon were mounted in strategic locations, and the defenses were so designed that a large concentration of fire could be reached. The European travellers these days, which have left very readable memoirs, have described this citadel as "one of the most powerful in India." This fort is a pyramidical and only of its kind in India. It is auto powerful enemy.
latitude : 19.862699510 longitude :75.398101810
Corporation : Aurangabad
GPS Code : VAAU
The Ajanta Caves were carved in the 2nd century BC out of a horseshoe-shaped cliff along the Waghora River. They were used by Buddhist monks as prayer halls (chaitya grihas) and monasteries (viharas) for about nine centuries, then abruptly abandoned. They fell into oblivion until they were rediscovered in 1819.
The Ellora Caves, known locally as "Verul Leni' is located on the road Aurangabad-Chalisgaon at a distance of 30 km to the north-north-west of Aurangabad, the headquarters of the district. The name itself Ellora inspires everyone as it represents one of the largest rock-hewn monastic complex of temples in the world. Ellora is also famous in the world for the largest single monolithic excavation in the world, the large cave Kailasa (16). The vi
Daultabad Devagiri Fort, 11km north-west of Aurangabad, is a famous for its great hill fort. The fort is located on a hill isolated conical rise abruptly from the plain to the height of about 190 meters. The fortification consisting of three concentric lines of walls with large number of bastions. The outstanding features of the fort are the moat, the escarpment, and the sub-mediterranean passage, all hewn from solid rock. The upper outlet of t