Udaipur City Palace

Scenic Spot

 

Overview

Udaipur City Palace located peacefully on the banks of Lake Pichola. The largest palace complex in Rajasthan. Built on a hill top that gives a panoramic view of the city and its surrounding.
 
 City Palace was built over a period of nearly 400 years being contributed by several kings of the dynasty, starting by the Maharana Udai Singh II as the capital of the Sisodia Rajput clan in 1553, after he moved from Chittor. It is located on the east bank of the Lake Pichola and has several palaces built within its complex. Udaipur was the historic capital of the former kingdom of Mewar in the Rajputana Agency and its last capital.They were built over a long period, from 1559 onwards, by 76 generations of Sisodia Rajputs or Suryavanshi Rajputs. Several Maharanas  starting with Udai Singh II, have richly contributed to this edifice, which comprises an agglomeration of structures, including 11 small separate palaces. The unique aspect of this conglomeration is that the architectural design a wonderful blend of Rajasthani, Mughal, Medieval, European and Chinese Architecture.  The Palace has various towers, domes and arches, which add to the flavor of heritage site. Towering on the banks of Pichola Lake, City Palace is truly a feast to the eyes. City Palace is a marvelous assortment of courtyards, pavilions, terraces, corridors, rooms and hanging gardens. Encircled by fortifications, this imposing Palace is wholly built in granite and marble.The main block of the city palace at Udaipur is approached through a modest door from the Ganesha Deodhi terrace. The door is flanked by whitewashed walls vibrantly painted with martial animals in the traditional Rajput style. 
 
Enter the complex through Badi Pol  at the northern end, or the Sheetla Mata Gate to the south. Tickets for the City Palace Museum are sold at both entrances.
 
Amar Vilas: The uppermost court inside the complex,
Badi Mahal: Garden Palace and is the exotic central garden palace that is situated on a 27 metres (89 ft) high natural rock formation bis-a-bis the rest of the palace.
 
Bhim Vilas: A remarkable collection of miniature paintings that depict the real-life stories of Radha-Krishna.
 
Chini Chitrashala: Chinese and Dutch ornamental tiles.
 
Choti Chitrashali: Choti Chitrashali or 'Residence of Little Pictures', built in early 19th century, has pictures of peacocks.
 
Dilkhusha Mahal: Palace of Joy was built in 1620.
 
Durbar hall: Durbar Hall was built in 1909 within the Fatepraksh Palace  Official functions such as State banquets and meetings were held here.
 
Fateprakash Palace: Which is now run as a luxury hotel, has a crystal gallery that consists of crystal chairs, dressing tables, sofas, tables, chairs and beds, crockery, table fountains which were never used. There is also a unique jewel studded carpet here. Maharaja Sajjan Singh had ordered these rare items in 1877 from F& C Osler & Co of London but he died before they arrived here.
 
Jagdish mandir: Left:Jagdish Temple. Right: The decorated walls of Jagdish Mandir, located 150 metres  north of the city palace, was built in 1652 in Indo-Aryan architectural style. It is a large and aesthetically elegant temple where an idol of Lord Jagannath.
 
Krishna Vilas: Another chamber, which has rich collection of miniature paintings that portray royal processions, festivals and games of the Maharanas.[6] However, there is tragic story linked to this wing of the City Palace.
 
Laxmi Vilas chowk: This is an art gallery with a distinctive collection of Mewar paintings.
 
Manak Mahal: The Manek mahal approached from the Manak Chowk is an enclosure for formal audience for the Udaipur rulers. 
 
Mor Chowk: Left:Three peacocks in Mor Chowk wall. Right: Pillared hall with glass and mirror mosaic decorations. Mor Chowk or Peacock square is integral to the inner courts of the palace. The elaborate design of this chamber consists of three peacocks  modeled in high relief and faced with coloured glass mosaic, built into successive niches in the wall area or jharoka.
 
Museum:In 1974, a part of the city palace and the 'Zenana Mahal' were converted into a museum. More than four centuries ago, in A.D. 1559, Rana Udai Singh II the father of Rana Pratap, laid the Foundation of the City Palace after the birth of his grandson Amar Singh I and on the advice of a Hermit Goswami Prem Giriji Maharaj, who had a small hut on this hill. The enormous complex of the old palace standing on a low ridge called Rana Magri (Rana’s Hill) overlooking lake Pichola on the west is a tribute to the constructive genius and architectural taste of the Maharana's of Mewar, ranging from Rana Udai Singh II to the present 76th Custodian of House of Mewar, Shriji Arvind Singh Mewar.
 
Rang Bhawan: The palace that used to contain royal treasure. There are temples of Lord Krishna, Meera Bai and Shiva,.
 
Sheesh Mahal: Sheess Mahal or Palace of Mirrors and glasses was built in 1716. It was built by Maharana Pratap, son of Rana Uday Singh for his beloved wife Maharani Ajabde.
 
 Palace Timing: 9:30AM–5:30PM
 
Entrance Fee,
Adult - Rs. 50
Child - Rs. 30 
Camera Fee
Still/Video – Rs. 200 
 
How to Reach,
Road Way: One can easily reach Udaipur City Palace either by taking local buses, tongas, auto-rickshaws and taxis from the city.
 
Nearest Railway Station: Udaipur City
 
Nearest airport: Maharana Pratap Airport
 

Location

Country
India
State
Rajasthan
City
Udaipur
Location
Udaipur City
Address
City Palace, Udaipur, Rajasthan 313001
Contact Info
Phone: 0294 241 9021
Mobile :
Fax :
Near Cities
Nearest Bus Terminal
City Palace, Udaipur
Nearest Railway Station
Udaipur City (UDZ)
Nearest Airport
Maharana Pratap Airport
IN
latitude : 24.617700580 longitude :73.896102910
Corporation : Udaipur
GPS Code : VAUD
Open Year
18th century
Architect
Rajasthani, Mughal, Medieval, European and Chinese Architecture
Dedicated To
Udai Singh II
Visiting Hours
9:30AM to 5:30PM

Nearest Places

  • Jagdish Temple is a large Hindu temple in the middle of Udaipur in Rajasthan. A big tourist attraction, the temple was originally called the temple of Jagannath Rai but is now called Jagdish-ji. It is a major monument in Udaipur. The Jagdish Temple is raised on a tall terrace and was completed in 1651. It attaches a double-storey Mandapa (hall) to a double-storey saandhara (with a covered ambulatory) sanctum. The mandapa has another storey tuck

  • Eklingji Temple is one of the most famous temples of Rajasthan. Located in the town of Eklingji (Kailashpuri), the place got its popular name from the temple. Eklingji Temple is positioned at a distance of 22 km in the north of Udaipur, on the national highway no. 8. Eklingnath Temple is dedicated to the Lord Shiva of the Hindu religion. Initially, the temple was built in 734 A.D. by Bappa Rawal. Since that time, Eklingji has been the ruling de

  • Udaipur City Palace located peacefully on the banks of Lake Pichola. The largest palace complex in Rajasthan. Built on a hill top that gives a panoramic view of the city and its surrounding.

NEAREST PLACES

NEAREST PLACES TO VISIT

About us

Tourismeveryone.com is one of most and great name in internet world. Our aims to "what you need, we will give".

here collection of tourist places and its tour cost world wide.

Twitter feed
Contact us

#1, Puzhuthivakkam
Chennai, TN - 600091
P: (91) 9043520329
E: tourismeveryone@gmail.com


Follow us